Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Oaxaca, Mexico. Fear and loathing in a private school


I began to receive emails inquiring into the condition of my condition(s) in light of a lack of serious blogging and reporting over the past couple of weeks. Man, have I got a story for you. It will take me a while to write it, like, maybe, the rest of this week. When it is finished, I'll publish it. Quickly, it concerns the following:

You are all aware by now, I'm sure, of the ongoing train wreck which masquerades as the public education system in Mexico. And I'm also sure that you are all aware that anyone who can beg, borrow, steal or otherwise scrape up the necessary funds to pay for tuition, books, uniforms and other odd and sundry school supplies will do so in order to remove their kids from public schools and get them into private ones. So, I would assume that you would assume that the private schools are much better than the public schools, right?

Not. So. fast.

I just spent two weeks inside one of the larger and one of the oldest and best established private schools in Oaxaca City.

GAG


It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. I'll tell you about it but it will take some time. Please be patient. It will be worth the wait.


Please visit the Pale Horse Galleries online store
for art, gifts and collectibles -- all hand made
by Mexican indigenous artists.
Thanks!

TAGS: , , , ,

No comments: