Saturday, June 26, 2004

A GOOD WEEKEND...SO FAR, ANYWAY

The blogosphere is replete with hilarity today.

There's This: Dick Cheney finally gets real ("Go f**k yourself") with Sen. Patsy Leahy. You can hit about any link anywhere and find this story, but this is as good as any.

From Hugh Hewitt:
Here's the transcript of a great exchange between Neil Cavuto and the Vice President on the confrontation with Leahy:

NC: "What happened?"

"VP: "You could say we had a little floor debate in the United States Senate."

NC: "I heard it was more than a debate."

VP: "Well, it was, I expressed myself rather forcefully. Felt better after I had done it."

NC: "Alright. Did you use the "F" word?"

VP: "Ahhh, that's not the kind of language I usually use."

NC: "The reports were that you did."

VP: "That's not the kind of language that I ordinarily use."

NC: "So what did you tell him?"

VP: "I, ah, I expressed my, ah, dissatisfaction with Senator Leahy."

NC: "Over his comments about you and Halliburton?"

VP: "No. It was partly that, it was partly also it had to do with, ahh, he is the kind of individual who will make those kinds of charges and then come act as though he's your best friend, and I expressed in no uncertain terms my views of his conduct, and walked away."

NC: "Did you curse at him?"

VP: "Probably." (laughter by the VP)

NC: "Do you have any regrets?"

VP: "No. I said it. And I..."

NC: "So let me understand. He comes up and he sees you, says 'Mr. Vice President,' and he's a little nice, shakes your hand, and then what do you do, lit into him?

VP: "Ah. Expressed my unhappiness with the way he conducted himself. Part of the problem here is that instead of having this substantive debate over important policy issues, ah, he had challenged my integrity, and I didn't like that, but most of all I didn't like the fact that after he'd done so, then he wanted to act like, ah, now things are peaches and cream, and I informed him of my view of his conduct in no uncertain terms, and as I say, I felt better afterwards."

NC: "Alright. Now they say you broke decorum for normally a Senate or Congressional session. Technically, I guess, it wasn't in session."

VP: "No we weren't in session. What we were doing was waiting to take our pictures, our official Senate photos, and I go up and sit in the chair as president of the Senate and preside."

NC: "What was reaction from the crowd?"

VP: (Vice President laughing) "I think a lot of my colleagues felt that, ah, what I said badly needed to be said. That it was long overdue."

NC: "Pretty feisty guy, aren't you?"

VP: "Well, I am usually calm, cool, and collected, and ordinarily I don't express myself in strong terms, but I thought it was appropriate here."
Appropriate indeed. And long overdue. After listening to Leahy serially slander numerous judicial nominees, then John Ashcroft last week and the Vice President this week, it was to Dick Cheney's great credit that he let the small man from the small state know what most Americans think of such Uriah Heep-like conduct.
Then, there's this:
Israeli-made bullets bought by the U.S. Army to plug a shortfall should be used for training only, not to fight Muslim guerrillas in Iraq and Afghanistan, U.S. lawmakers told Army generals on Thursday.
from MyWay via Goldstein, et al. Hmm, now the Congress purports to tell the Armed Forces what ammo is to be used where to shoot whom. Rep. Maxine Waters was heard to comment,"What!! Using jew-bullets to maim and kill those nice little brown boys over there in Eeraq? What the F**K? What are those #@**%@#jew#@#@%**zionist#%&@|"@#protocols@##$%&**monkeys@#@#$%&**pigs@#@#%$&$*#sonofa*@#$ Eezrayleez a'gonna think of next?

As I said, hilarity rules. Oh, and per Goldstein, Michele Malkin is running a contest to see how many ways that Mr. Cheney could have used to tell Patsy Leahy to go f**k himself without using any profanity. This has spawned an orgy of insult submissions. My favorites, so far;
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play, bring a friend - if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second - if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in reply
and
Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

No comments: