Monday, February 12, 2007

Abraham Lincoln: Happy Birthday!


Mark in Mexico, http://markinmexico.blogspot.com/ For gifts, collectibles, Mexican arts and crafts, visit Pale Horse Gallery, http://palehorsemex.vstore.ca/ Abraham Lincoln with son.

The Big Trunk (Scott Johnson) at Powerline reminds us to remember the man on his birthday.

Lincoln's words of wisdom, preserved for us in a myriad of sources as quotations, are too numerous to list here. My favorites, however, are:
If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.

Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

Both parties deprecated war; but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive; and the other would accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came.

Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.
This for the Mexican governors, the state and federal legislatures, the judges and the police:
Ballots are the rightful and peaceful successors to bullets.
And, finally, for our friends in APPO and Sección 22:
There is no grievance that is a fit object of redress by mob law.



Please visit the Pale Horse Galleries online store
for art, gifts and collectibles -- all hand made
by Mexican indigenous artists.
Thanks!

TAGS: , , , ,

No comments: