Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Belafonte's vision blurred - cries out for help

Is there a good optometrist in the house? And we'll need a good optician, too.
"Killing is our easiest tool. When you look at the president who has led us into a dishonorable war that has caused the deaths of tens of thousands of people, many our own sons and daughters, I ask myself what Dr. King would have asked...

"It is an act that has driven fear and terror into the hearts of the American people. What is the essential difference in quality of our humanity for those who would do the cruel and tragic deed of flying an airplane into a building and killing 3,000 innocent Americans and those who would lie and lead the nation into a war that has killed hundreds of thousands?

"Excuse me, fellow citizens, if the line for me becomes a little blurred."
Call in the optometrist here. Also, a mathematician to explain the fine line between "tens of thousands" and "hundreds of thousands".

Belafonte did, however, leave a thought unfinished which I am happy to complete for him.
"When I was born, I was colored. Soon after, I became Negro. Not long after that, I was black. Most recently I was African American."
Now I'm just a incompetent old man, pandering to an audience
who came to hear me say what they knew I was going to say.

TAGS: , ,

No comments: