Friday, January 20, 2006

Paris Hilton - a child left behind

Unfortunately for Paris Hilton, George Bush's No Child Left Behind Act came too late to help her. She is fighting a lawsuit filed by Zeta Graf, ex-girlfriend of Paris's ex-boyfriend, Paris Laxis. Paris (Hilton) spread a story about a confrontation between her and Graf over Paris (Laxis) at a New York nightclub.

The story was picked up by the New York Post's Page Six gossip column and then it spread to newspapers around the world. Paris (Hilton) now admits the details of the confrontation never happened but that she is innocent of spreading the story. In a deposition given before her own and Graf's lawyers, the Hilton hotel chain heiress demonstrated why the No Child Left Behind Act would have helped disadvantaged children like herself.

Hilton's publicist at the time, Rob Shuter, has given a deposition which included emails from Hilton to him which seem to indicate that she wanted the false story disseminated and was happy that he did so. When asked about Shuter's statements, Hilton described Shuter as
"a f...ing liar."
When asked about those emails, Hilton, taking a cue from New York Times Op/Ed writers, testified,
"Whatever I write in e-mail, it doesn't mean anything. It is just words I write."
Questioned about friendships, Hilton testified,
"I meet so many people. I don't even know some of my friends' names."
Questioned about women who stalk women, Hilton said,
"I would never say stalking. I'm not a dude. Like, I think a girl can only stalk a guy. She can't really stalk another girl."
When asked for the last name of her companion on the night in question, whose first name was "Terry", Hilton replied,
"It is like a weird Greek name. Like Douglas."
Hilton displayed her breathtaking ignorance of geography when asked if she had seen any worldwide re.publications of the gossip column:
"I was in Europe the whole summer, and all there is is like French -- I didn't see anything because I wasn't in America."
and when asked by Graf's lawyer if there were "U.K. publications, she replied,
"No... there is stuff in London." Hilton's lawyer, Larry Stein, jumped in: "London is a U.K. publication." Her retort: "Right. U.K. Whatever."
Hilton testified that she did, in fact, have a minor confrontation with Graf during which she told Graf,
"I just said to her... she is old and should stay at home with her child instead of being at nightclubs with young people. And just that -- I just - what else did I say? Just that she is not cute at all."
Hilton was insructed several times during the deposition to use "No" instead of "huh-uh" (as well as other grunts and whistles, I presume). Adding a little hearsay to the proceeding, Paris (Hilton) said that Paris (Latsis) told her he had been threatened by Graf:
"He said that she threatened to send Mexican people to come and beat the s..t out of him."

"He said that she was going to do voodoo on me. And I kind of do believe in that stuff a little bit, so I was a little bit scared about that... "
At one poit during the deposition, Hilton announced, "I'm so hungry". She was then photographed taking a lunch break.



The entire deposition can be found in two parts here and here as well as her emails to her publicist here. The Page Six gossip column that started this whole mess is here.


TAGS: , , ,

No comments: