STATE OF LOUISIANAFrom The Dead Pelican via Free Republic
DEPARTMENT OF STATE CIVIL SERVICE
BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA
January 13, 2006
General Circular No. 001644
To: Heads of State Agencies and Human Resource Directors
Subject: Prohibited Political Activities Concerning Recall Petitions
Issue Date: January 13, 2006
Civil Service Rule 14.1(e) 5 reads as follows:
14.1 Prohibited Activities.
(e) No employee in the classified service and no member of the Commission shall
5. Take active part in an effort to recall from office an elected public official, or seek, solicit or attempt to coerce any person including any employee in the classified service and any member of the Commission into participating in any such effort or signing a recall petition except that nothing contained herein shall prevent an employee in the classified service or member of the Commission from signing a recall petition.
Therefore, a state classified employee may sign a recall petition.
However, a state classified employee may not take any active part in a recall effort. Examples of what a state classified employee may not do are:
· Circulate a recall petition
· Ask others to sign a recall petition
· Offer to mail a recall petition for others
· Man a table collecting signatures on a recall petition
· E-mail a recall petition to others
Signing a recall petition is personal business, not to be conducted on state time or using state resources. Employees may not sign and submit recall petitions on line from their state computers.
If there are any questions about the information in this General Circular, please contact your Assistance Coordinator at 225-342-8274 or Fran.Williams@la.gov. Please let us know if there is any way that we can assist you.
s/Anne S. Soileau
TAGS: Louisiana, Governor Kathleen Blanco, recall, free speech, Katrina