Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A letter to Joel Stein

A letter to Joel Stein from Christopher Calandro of Atlanta.

Joel:

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've enjoyed your columns in Time magazine. There aren't too many columnists that can make me laugh out loud. I can't recall the exact topic, but I seem to remember one of your lines making me laugh so hard I nearly busted my spleen.

That being said, however, I feel have a moral obligation to tell you that your recent column for the LA Times (and just when it seemed like they were heading in the right direction), "Warriors and Wusses," was abhorrent. Reprehensible. And loathsome.

The most appalling part? The assertion that members of the United States armed forces are "ignoring their morality" by fighting in Iraq? And to equate the promotion of democracy in parts of the world where the respective citizenry had never had it as "American imperialism"? I'm flabbergasted, to say the least.

Try not to take this personally, Joel, but fuck you. Seriously.

I realize it's not a very Christian attitude, but I hope you do get your ass kicked in the wake of your asinine column. For your own good. Better to get one now in an "excercise of free speech" (just trying to put forth an argument as idiotic as one of yours), than the one you might receive from an Islamic terrorist. I don't know if you've been reading press accounts since 9/11, but they don't really stop at fisticuffs.

Putting yourself "out there" is one thing, but temerity is another.

Most sincerely,
Christopher Calandro
Atlanta
TAGS: , , , ,

No comments: