Friday, February 03, 2006

Hugh Hewitt sides with Islamofascists, misspells "ought"

Just kidding.

JUST KIDDING!!

He did misspell "ought", however.

Hugh makes a good point. And that is:
The cartoons were in bad taste, an unnecessary affront to many of the 1.3 billion Muslims in the world, just as Joel Stein affronted the military, the families and friends of the military, and as Toles did the same to the wounded, and their families, friends and admirers.
I think I used the term "foolishly" in this post about the publishing of the cartoons and used the same terminology to describe the Jyllands Posten's call for the cartoons in the first place.

Hugh does make one statement with which I am afraid I do not agree. Or, better, about which I harbor some serious doubts. He says,
"The jihadists are the enemy, not the Muslim world."
Man, I wish I could have the same level of confidence as Hugh that this were true. Maybe I'll just wish and hope that it is true. I'll wish and hope that he is right and that my feelings of foreboding concerning another 50-year war just over the next horizon are ill founded.

I would ask Hugh this question: Do you think that Julian Bond represents mainstream African American thought? I think that he does. I think that of the 900 people sitting in the auditorium listening to Bond's speech, 4 walked out and 896 agreed, in whole or in part, with what he said. I think that Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, Cynthia McKinney, Charles Rangel, Maxine Waters, Kanye West, The Congressional Black Caucus et al represent current mainstream African American thought. The 15% or so who do not subscribe to the above mentioned spokespersons are NOT the mainstream. We might wish that they were so, but wishing it were so does not make it so.

The same is true in the "Muslim world" of which Hugh speaks. The 85% or so of Muslims who believe the US to be evil, bin Laden to be a hero, that Jews are sons of pigs and dogs, want Sharia law established worldwide and demand that the cartoonists be punished ARE the mainstream. We might wish that it were not so, but wishing it were not so does not make it not so.

My feeling is that the only reason that a world war between civilizations has not already broken out is that the vast majority of Muslims living in the world today are so desperately poor that they have the time, energy and resources for only the occasional burst of AK-47 fire into the air from the garbage and sewage laden streets outside of their mud huts. Give them resources and I fear that they will come after us everywhere that they can find us, which is to say everywhere.

I hope I'm wrong and Hugh is right.

Lots more discussion here:
Junk Yard Blog, All Things beautiful, The American Princess, Michelle Malkin with 62 TRACBACKS!!!, Oblogatory Anecdotes, Argghhh!!!, bRight & Early, The Brainster, Joe Gandelman, Reid Blog - Oh my. She's blaming Bush for all this.

There are too many to count, let alone read, but see Joe Gandelman at The Moderate Voice for a huge list of writers to visit.


TAGS: , , , ,

No comments: