Saturday, July 30, 2005

I have rights! I have rights!

In The Washington Post's report of the roundup and arrest of the 3 7/21 bomberette suspects still in Britain yesterday, it quotes one of the suspects shouting, "I have rights! I have rights!" as he surrendered. The part of the report that bothered me was that during the siege of the apartment where two of the suspects were holed up, police "pleaded with television networks to stop live broadcasts from the scene out of concern the suspects would watch and see the officers' locations." I think that in the US, police officials have the right and the duty to remove TV crews that are interfering with their security. In the end, reporters don't usually care too much who gets hurt or who is endangered by their quest for a good story.

No comments: