Friday, July 29, 2005

Pakistan throws out foreign students?

The BBC is reporting that Pakistan's president, Pervez Musharraf, has ordered all foreign students in Pakistan's extremist madrassas to leave the country. The BBC reports 1400 students will have to leave.
"Any (foreigners) in the madrassas - even dual nationality holders - will leave Pakistan," Gen Musharraf said.
Well, that's a start, I guess. I don't know if I believe the 1400 number. I would think it would be more like 14,000 or 140,000, but that's just my opinion. Of course, if they turn them over 4 times per year, that's an annual output of some 5600 wild-eyed, where's-my-72-virgins? jihadist and martyr wannabees.

The BBC does relate these disturbing numbers: there are 1.3 million students in 20,000 madrassas in Pakistan. Hmmm. If only one drooling killer matriculates from each madrassa once per year, that's 20,000 homicidal maniacs searching for paradise annually. I think that number is closer to the truth than 5600. Gen. Musharraf walks a tightrope every minute of every day to avoid assassination and at the same time remain out of Washington's crosshairs. Not an enviable position, I'm sure.

Some others watching this very carefully: Jeff Goldstein, Jan Haugland, PoliBlog, NewsHog, Ace of Spades HQ

TAGS: , , , , ,

No comments: