Saturday, June 11, 2005

Where will I go?

I wrote about Robert Mugabe's disastrous municipal cleanup campaign here and here. Now comes this on-the-ground report of the deplorable conditions in Zimbabwe in which he is leaving his people. His campaign to "drive out the trash" has left 200,000 people homeless and 30,000 vendors jobless although human rights and relief workers say the numbers could be many times that.

Mugabe is a vampire, a current day Vlad Tepes.
"Some were refused the right to take out their goods," said Ignatius Magonese, 62, a Rimuku resident who was pushing his family's possessions, heaped high atop a trailer welded of rebar, down the Harare-Bulawayo highway. "They pushed them down with the house. Then they told them to pick up their things and leave. Some other older people were crying, just like saying, 'This is the end of my life. Where will I put my things? Where will I go?'"
UPDATE: This report says he disguises his armored columns with fake "UN" insignia.

And still more here. People are beginning to fight back. They may have no choice but to fight. However, the Zimbabwian people have been disarmed and I fear many will die.

Linked to: geosciblog, The Captain, The Head Heeb, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Bionic Octopus I, Bionic Octopus II, Coyote Blog, Common Sense & Wonder, Winds of Change, Caerdroia, Dean Esmay, Mrs. Greyhawk, Publius Pundit, Samizdata, Queen of All Evil, Smash, Wallo World, Unconventional Wisdom, Transterrestrial Musings, The Glittering Eye, Ianiculum, Pejman, Exit Zero, RantingProfs,
.

No comments: